Rubber Compounding for Durability – an Endurica Master Training Course
Are you challenged to make your rubber products last longer? Rubber compounds are complex mixtures of polymers, reinforcing fillers, oils / plasticizers, curatives, stabilizers, and other additives that are combined in relatively quick mixing processes. Durability is impacted by all these ingredients, their interactions, and the quality of the mixing. This two-day course will teach compounding strategies to improve the strength and lifetime of rubber components. This specialized training will benefit materials engineers, compounders, rubber chemists, product development engineers, R&D scientists, and rubber lab managers at manufacturers of tires and rubber parts and companies that supply raw materials.
- Understand how rubber fatigue and failure characteristics are influenced by materials selection and compound structural features
- Learn compounding strategies to improve strength and fatigue lifetime
- Know the right testing methods to characterize rubber durability efficiently in the lab
Day 1: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Introduction: What types of failure are manifested in your products, and what is durability worth to you?
- Brief overview of rubber formulations and mixing approaches
- Testing for durability in the rubber lab: Focus on efficient testing of crack nucleation and crack growth
- Framework for compounding for durability
- Polymer selection: Chemical stability, strain-induced crystallization, molecular mobility, polymer blends
- Crosslinking effects: Effects of type, density, and distribution of crosslinks
Filler type, dispersion, and reinforcement topics, including processing effects and crack precursors
Day 2: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Stiffness and deformation control mode
- Influence of oils, plasticizers, and resins
- Stabilizing against aging
- Simulation for materials selection and durability prediction
- Wrap-up discussions, final Q&A
The course includes lectures and classroom exercises focused on understanding fatigue behavior of rubber and developing compounding approaches to improve durability. Lunch and snacks are included.
Dr. Chris Robertson is an international authority on polymer science and rubber compounding for performance. He brings over 15 years of materials research and product development experience at tire and rubber companies and raw materials suppliers. Chris is co-inventor of 32 patents, co-author of 55 publications in peer-reviewed journals, and serves as Associate Editor of Rubber Chemistry & Technology.
What Attendees are Saying . . .
“Good combination of cracking mechanics and compounding effect theory.”
“Great instructional style. There are a lot of instructors that throw complex formulae into a presentation from a theoretical standpoint. Chris always brought it back to the real world and kept a very practical outlook. “
“The course provided a great blend of theory of tearing and abilities to ‘move’ the tearing energy. Chris was very open to comments and discussion. He was knowledgeable and spoke candidly. I enjoyed the content and found it relevant to my work. It was nice that Chris seemed to be enjoying his work as well.”
“Really good clarity about what is actually going on.”
“This was a very interesting course, especially since I’m not a Chemist or Scientist. It definitely gave me a better idea on how and why we go about picking the different compounds we use in our batches. I learned a lot of new information that’s going to help me better understand the whole process of making rubber.”
101 New Fatigue Ninjas to date
France – India – Spain – USA
234 New Fatigue Ninjas
China – France – India – Spain – UK – USA
135 New Fatigue Ninjas
China – Europe – India – USA
Training is also available at YOUR site
Endurica’s professionals can provide customized training at your location anywhere in the world. Contact Chris Robertson with your durability challenge – by phone at 419-957-0543 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.