Rubber Compounding for Durability – an Endurica Master Workshop
Improve durability by raw materials selection and compound formulation
Are you challenged to make your rubber products last longer? Rubber compounds are complex mixtures of polymers, reinforcing fillers, oils/plasticizers, curatives, stabilizers, and other additives that are combined in relatively quick mixing processes. Durability is impacted by all these ingredients, their interactions, and the quality of the mixing. This course will teach compounding strategies to improve the strength and lifetime of rubber components. Rubber Compounding for Durability is designed to benefit materials engineers, compounders, rubber chemists, product development engineers, R&D scientists, and rubber lab managers at manufacturers of tires and rubber parts and companies that supply raw materials.
Live Online Workshop
Our live, online delivery of Compounding for Durability includes lectures and exercises for a thorough understanding of how durability is impacted by different ingredients, their interactions, the quality of mixing, and more. This course is a LIVE training event and a link to the presentation of each class will be made available to registrants for their reference/review. These links will be active for seven days after the class date so attendees will have time to make up classes they may not be able to attend live. This course will NOT be distributed or broadcast beyond this time period.
September 28-30, 2021 Lectures 9:00 a.m. – Noon EST with additional time available for questions during Office Hours 1:00 – 3:00 daily during the course duration. Register Online
- Understand how rubber fatigue and failure characteristics are influenced by materials selection and compound structural features
- Learn compounding strategies to improve strength and fatigue lifetime
- Know the right testing methods to characterize rubber durability efficiently in the lab
- Introduction: What types of failures are manifested in your products, and what is durability worth to you?
- Brief overview of rubber formulations and mixing approaches
- Testing for durability in the rubber lab: Focus on efficient testing of crack nucleation and crack growth
- Framework for compounding for durability
- Polymer selection: Chemical stability, strain-induced crystallization, molecular mobility, polymer blends
- Crosslinking effects: Effects of type, density, and distribution of crosslinks
- Filler type, dispersion, and reinforcement topics, including processing effects and crack precursors
- Stiffness and deformation control mode
- Influence of oils, plasticizers, and resins
- Stabilizing against aging
- Simulation for materials selection and durability prediction
- Wrap-up discussions, final Q&A
The course includes lectures and classroom exercises focused on understanding fatigue behavior of rubber and developing compounding approaches to improve durability.
Course Fee: $960
Dr. Chris Robertson is an international authority on polymer science and rubber compounding for performance. Chris has a combined commercial and technical role as Sales Director and Materials Expert at Endurica LLC, which is focused on elastomer durability software and testing solutions. His background includes 18 years of R&D experience as a materials engineer and technical manager in the tire, synthetic rubber, and plastics industries, including 9 years developing leading-edge polymers and rubber compounds at tire manufacturers (Bridgestone; Cooper Tire). After receiving his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 1999 in the field of polymer science, Chris spent two years as a postdoctoral researcher in polymer physics at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory before starting his industrial R&D career. Chris is the co-inventor of 34 patents/patents pending, co-author of 63 publications in peer-reviewed journals, and he serves as Editor-in-Chief of the journal Rubber Chemistry and Technology.
What Attendees are Saying . . .
“Good combination of cracking mechanics and compounding effect theory.”
“Great instructional style. There are a lot of instructors that throw complex formulae into a presentation from a theoretical standpoint. Chris always brought it back to the real world and kept a very practical outlook. “
“The course provided a great blend of the theory of tearing and abilities to ‘move’ the tearing energy. Chris was very open to comments and discussion. He was knowledgeable and spoke candidly. I enjoyed the content and found it relevant to my work. It was nice that Chris seemed to be enjoying his work as well.”
“Really good clarity about what is actually going on.”
“This was a very interesting course, especially since I’m not a Chemist or Scientist. It definitely gave me a better idea on how and why we go about picking the different compounds we use in our batches. I learned a lot of new information that’s going to help me better understand the whole process of making rubber.”
September 28-30, 2021 Live, Online Register Online
130 New Fatigue Ninjas
Canada – France – India – Korea – Netherlands – UK – USA – Spain – Switzerland
234 New Fatigue Ninjas
China – France – India – Spain – UK – USA
135 New Fatigue Ninjas
China – Europe – India – USA
Training is also available at YOUR site
Endurica’s professionals can provide customized training at your location anywhere in the world. Contact Chris Robertson with your durability challenge – by phone at 419-957-0543 or via email at email@example.com.